Power Trader Workshop – Wednesday 23 February, 9.30am to 5.00pm
Power Trader is a unique one-day workshop that puts you in charge of your own electricity company…
- Can you source enough power to keep your customers’ lights on?
- What will you do to maximise shareholder profit whilst reducing carbon emissions?
- How will you cope with the pressure of changing weather patterns and customer demand?
Working as a small team, you will run an energy company operating in a simulated electricity market. You will be responsible for sourcing and delivering power to customers by operating generation facilities and trading with other teams. Your aim: keep your customers’ lights on whilst making a profit for your shareholders and minimising carbon emissions. This will involve responding to different policy pressures and changes in customer demand, trading energy with other teams and engaging in energy system complexity.
What are the outcomes?
- Understand how electricity markets work: Power Trader creates a fun, safe place to engage in real-time strategy to explore the issues faced in transforming the energy system.
- Appreciation of multiple energy system perspectives: Explore challenges faced by policy makers, power producers and strategists in designing the future energy system.
- Knowledge of the latest system challenges: Power Trader is more than just a game, interspersed with high level discussion and presentation materials available after the workshop.
- Learning through doing: Direct immersion in the complexities of energy markets delivers hands-on experience unlike any other training.
- Strengthened teamwork skills: Working interactively with peers assists in developing communication, negotiation, decision making and conflict resolution skills.
Provider: Heuristic Games
FREE places available for ERA PhD students and -CDICE Post-doctoral researchers. Book via Inkpath – spaces are limited so book early to avoid disappointment. Please note that if you do not have an Inkpath account, you need to create one in order to be able to book your place. Guidance on how to create an account is available here.
23rd February 2022