Sustainable Construction Masterclass Series – starts Wednesday 19th October 2022
C-DICE provides a unique opportunity to learn from a team of researchers at the University of Birmingham as part of this series of expert-led webinars. The aim of this series of masterclasses is to develop your sustainable construction literacy through an exploration of multiple interdependent factors to be accounted for in decision-making associated with cities and infrastructure policy and practice. This will facilitate ‘properly informed’ future conversations with multiple stakeholders linked to this multifaceted field of research.
The lectures and Q&A sessions will cover fundamental issues such as what value do we place on sustainability, and resilience, when introducing functional changes to cities and infrastructure, and their operational systems?
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- Identify key factors related to liveable cities, systems modelling, urban diagnostics, value propositions, sustainability and resilience, smart cities and the ‘urban metabolism’.
- Critically analyse the basis of sustainable construction and the role of construction activity in the context of the wider environment.
- Identify personal goals linking learning from these masterclasses to personal research projects, proposals, and conversations with stakeholders or policy.
Dates and times:
- Week 1 – An introduction to liveable cities and aspirational futures for infrastructure and urban systems. Prof Chris Rogers. 19th October 2022 13:00-15:00
- Week 2 – Understanding the problems and context: urban diagnostics and a city analysis methodology. Dr Joanne Leach. 26th October 2022 13:00-15:00
- Week 3 – Thinking systemically about the complex system-of-systems that operate in our towns and cities: systems mapping and system modelling. Dr Chris Bouch. 9th November 2022 13:00-15:00
- Week 4 – People movement through the urban landscape: sustainable transport systems. Dr Joanne Leach. 16th November 2022 13:00-15:00
- Week 5 – Value propositions, cases for change and testing design options and business models for resilience in extreme urban futures. Prof Chris Rogers. 22nd November 2022 13:00-15:00. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN AMENDED DATE.
- Week 6 – Smart cities: how do we know that we are making cities truly smart? Dr Marianna Cavada. 30th November 2022 14:00-16:00 (please note this masterclass starts slightly later)
- Week 7 – Urban metabolism and governance frameworks: broader considerations of how it all fits together. Dr Giovanni Palafox and Dr Lis Shrimpton. 7th December 2022 13:00-15:00
This Masterclass Series is fully subsidised for C-DICE affiliated postdoctoral researchers. You can check your HEI affiliation status here: Partnership – C-DICE (cdice.ac.uk)
Please contact us with any questions you may have, using the link below.