Video Impact – Using video to communicate your research – Friday 24th June
Communicating Research Impact through video
Video is a fantastic medium for communicating your research. But do you know how to make the most of it to enhance the impact of your work?
C-DICE (Centre for Postdoctoral Development in Infrastructure, Cities and Energy), is running a unique videography course for postdoctoral researchers.
As a researcher there are several compelling reasons for you to get involved:
· Learn how to enhance the impact of your research through videography
· Develop your communication skills to enhance your CV
· Demonstrate expertise, adding to your portfolio of professional development
· Join a postdoc community of practice, following the training programme
· Showcase your work at our annual C-DICE Conference in September 2022
The programme is designed to be flexible, with multiple opportunities to attend training sessions. This means that the training can fit around your research commitments. There will be a flexible mix of synchronous and asynchronous sessions. You can dip into training sessions at a date and time to suit you.
Video Impact is FULLY SUBSIDISED for researchers at any of the 18 Energy Research Accelerator and UKCRIC partner universities, as well as researchers funded by the Faraday Institution and Alan Turing Institute. It will provide training from foundation through to intermediate and advanced levels. You can decide to undertake as much or as little training as you want to develop the expertise you need. You can find a list of the eligible universities here. Non-C-DICE participants cost £350.
Our Video Impact programme is being led by Rob Glass, you will have the opportunity to learn from an expert in the field of videography. Rob is a videographer, video storytelling expert and trainer, and the founder of Coracle Films. Rob has been working in broadcasting for twenty years, and during his time as a BBC television presenter he was acknowledged as one of the most creative practitioners in the UK.
Three levels to meet your development needs
The Video Impact programme offers three levels for participants:
- “Foundations” is the first in a series of three workshops, focussing on developing your skills in the use of video to showcase your research. The basics of video will be introduced and you will have the opportunity to discuss opportunities, barriers and applications in this safe and open space with peers. There will be several opportunities for you to attend a live online session between April and June, with on-demand resources also being made available online for independent study. Foundations sessions are 45 minutes long.
- “Bootcamp” will allow you to take your newly-aquired knowledge and understanding and apply them in practice. You will have engaged with the “Foundations” resources before the “Bootcamp”. The course facilitator will introduce you to a range of tools in this interactive 3 hour session. There will be several opportunities to attend “Bootcamp” so that you can attend around your work commitments. Bootcamp sessions are half day 3 hour training events.
- “Momentum” will enable you to personalise and apply what you have learned, as you develop a video to communicate your research story, highlight your research facility or share your expertise. Applying what you have learned, you will evidence your skills in communication (RDF D2), demonstrate your expertise and facilitate reach and impact, linked to your research. You will be supported to develop a video that may be shared at the annual C-DICE Conference in September 2022. Bespoke support and feedback will be available from Rob Glass and the postdoctoral community through the networks that have been established in earlier training sessions. During this phase of the training programme, there will be several opportunities to attend an optional online surgery. Momentum surgeries are 45 minutes.
Key dates for training sessions:
Foundations – Thursday 5th May, Friday 27th May or Wednesday 15th June
Bootcamp – Wednesday 11th May, Monday 6th June or Friday 24th June. Book here https://webapp.inkpath.co.uk/#/redirect/eyJuYW1lIjoiQWN0aXZpdHlEZXRhaWxQYWdlIiwicGFyYW1zIjp7ImlkIjozNDIyMX19
Momentum – Thursday 9th June, Wednesday 29th June or Tuesday 5th July.
If you are interested, simply complete this Expression of Interest Form and we will be in contact with you to confirm your place and discuss the next steps.