Industrial Secondment: Modelling of Heatsink for 1kW Peltier Based Heating and Cooling Recirculating Chiller
C-DICE is delighted to offer a fantastic opportunity for a four-month secondment for postdoctoral researchers with industrial partner Sinnos Ltd. The postdoctoral researchers seconded to this project would gain:
- Industrial mentorship and support from Sinnos Ltd.
- Academic mentorship and support from University of Birmingham.
- Working example of current chiller to be available for demonstration.
This project will be ideal for postdoctoral researchers with a PhD in mechanical, chemical or materials engineering, having extensive knowledge of thermodynamics, familiar with CAD software (particularly Solid Works) and CFD software (particularly COMSOL Multiphysics and ANSYS).
About Sinnos Ltd
Sinnos Ltd is a manufacturer of thermo-electric cooling systems which provide a closed loop liquid cooling/heating solution for a variety of industries using cooling/warming pads, jackets, etc. Using Peltier technology, their products have an advantage over traditional refrigeration. The company is looking to develop further, higher powered chiller systems with a view of helping large fabrication plants operate with more environmentally friendly processes.
The secondee will utilise software focused on the modelling of the heatsink for 1kW Peltier system, experimenting with various parameters such as materials and geometry. The goals of the project are to create a refrigerant-free chiller to reduce long waste for fabrication plants when compared to refrigerant based compressor chillers and to achieve a total tool weight of under 18kg (to be classed as portable). It is understood the latter may not be possible, in which case keeping well below the weight of competitor’s compressor-based offerings will be key.
Number of secondments: This advert is for one secondment.
Duration: The secondment is four months in duration at full-time (or part-time prorated).
Location: Remote, with some travel to Birmingham or to the company site.
Salary: University Pay Scale Spine 26 to 36 (£31,411 to £42,155 p.a. prorated for duration of post), depending on current postdoctoral researcher salary. Please note that university overheads will not be paid due to the developmental opportunity this presents to the postdoctoral researcher to undertake an industrial secondment. Expenses related to authorised travel for this secondment will be covered.
This industrial placement is open to postdoctoral researchers based at C-DICE universities. Successful candidates will be required to seek permission from their supervisor and employing organisation to undertake the secondment. The project will commence as soon as possible. In cases where participation in this secondment would require a no-cost extension to an EPSRC grant, EPSRC has agreed to grant this automatically on request.
All staff have a statutory responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves, others and the environment and to prevent harm by their acts or omissions. All staff are therefore required to adhere to the University of Birmingham Health, Safety and Environmental Policy & Procedures.
All staff should hold a duty and commitment to observing the University of Birmingham Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion policy and procedures at all times. Duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Equality & Diversity legislation and policies/procedures.
After the Secondment
- Confirmation of expenditure
- Outcomes (e.g. publications, engagement activities) for impact tracking
- A report highlighting key findings
- The postdoc may be asked to engage with C-DICE events (e.g. Annual Conference or Business Engagement Events) and to lead a C-DICE training activity in their area of expertise.
- PhD in mechanical, chemical, or materials engineering
- Extensive knowledge of thermodynamics
- Familiar with CAD software, particularly Solidworks
- Familiar with CFD software, particularly COMSOL Multiphysics and ANSYS
- The postdoc must be currently employed by a C-DICE HEI (home institution) or C-DICE affiliated partner. Please note that postdocs at all UKCRIC and ERA universities may apply for this position.
- This post is not intended for permanent teaching staff / lecturers.
- Professional in writing scientific papers and technical reports
|Deadline for applications||21 Jun 2023 at 16:00|
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted any time before the deadline.
- Sign up to Inkpath. Then link to C-DICE. For more details on how, click here.
- Apply via Inkpath using Activity Code DSAB0013 or click the button above.
- When you sign up for the activity, you will receive a link to an online application form.
- You will need:
- Applicant details (education & employment background)
- Cover letter stating your available start date (max 500 words)
- A CV
Supporting documents, any questions about the role, or support in the application process should be emailed to C-DICE at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: email@example.com.
Please note that if you are successful, your supervisor will be contacted for a letter/email of support.