Industrial Secondment: Route Optimisation for Last Mile Deliveries using Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning
C-DICE is delighted to offer an exciting opportunity of a 9-week secondment for postdoctoral researchers with industrial partner, Ride Commerce. The postdoctoral researcher seconded to this project would:
- gain Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) models which enable the secondee to excel in data science, programming languages, mobile app development, and IT related skillsets.
- work for a company and gain the latest innovations in AI/ML and Automotive/Logistics or mobility.
- learn project implementation methodology and best practices.
This project would be ideal for a postdoctoral researcher in Computer Science or Supply Chain/Logistics/AI and ML, preferably with a qualification or experience in mobility or transportation.
About Ride Commerce
Ride Commerce is an electric and autonomous vehicle start-up company with a mobility platform transforming smart cities with zero emissions and increase efficiency for last mile deliveries.
Develop Mobile App and Web Application using AI and ML algorithms to optimise the routes using mapping technology.
Main tasks to be performed by the postdoc secondee:
- Develop an AI/ML based Route Optimisation solution for last mile deliveries.
- Filter and predict accurate geographic location and addresses using Open HDMaps to transport shipments from Point A to Point B using autonomous vehicles (AVs) using AI/ML predictive algorithms.
- Routing solution that reduces dependency on manual tasks using AI and ML.
- A report on the learning from successes and failures, hence guiding principles for AVs derived from the study, should form the basis of a presentation to the C-DICE community.
Number of secondments: This advert is for one secondment.
Duration: This secondment is nine weeks in duration at full-time (or prorated for part-time equivalent)
Location: Hybrid (Remote and on site)
Salary: University Pay Scale Spine 26 to 36 (£31,411 to £42,155 p.a. prorated for duration of post), depending on current postdoctoral researcher salary. Please note that university overheads will not be paid due to the developmental opportunity this presents to the postdoctoral researcher to undertake an industrial secondment. Expenses related to authorised travel for this secondment will be covered.
This industrial placement is open to postdoctoral researchers based at C-DICE universities. Successful candidates will be required to seek permission from their supervisor and employing organisation to undertake the secondment. The project will commence as soon as possible. In cases where participation in this secondment would require a no-cost extension to an EPSRC grant, EPSRC has agreed to grant this automatically on request.
All staff have a statutory responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves, others and the environment and to prevent harm by their acts or omissions. All staff are therefore required to adhere to the Ride Commerce Health, Safety and Environmental Policy & Procedures.
All staff should hold a duty and commitment to observing the Ride Commerce Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion policy and procedures at all times. Duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Equality & Diversity legislation and policies/procedures.
After the Secondment
- Confirmation of expenditure
- Outcomes (e.g. publications, engagement activities) for impact tracking
- A report highlighting key findings
- The postdoc may be asked to engage with C-DICE events (e.g. Annual Conference or Business Engagement Events) and to lead a C-DICE training activity in their area of expertise.
- PhD in Computer Science or Supply Chain/Logistics/AI and ML.
- Qualification / Experience in mobility or transportation
- The postdoc must be currently employed by a C-DICE HEI (home institution) or C-DICE affiliated partner. Please note that postdocs at all UKCRIC and ERA universities may apply for this position.
- This post is not intended for permanent teaching staff / lecturers.
- UX/UI design
- React Native/Mobile App development
- API Development
- Experience in Electric Vehicle (EV) research / case studies
|Deadline for applications
|31 Aug 2023
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted any time before the deadline.
- Sign up to Inkpath. Then link to C-DICE. For more details on how, click here.
- Apply via Inkpath using Activity Code DSAB0009 or click the button above.
- When you sign up for the activity, you will receive a link to an online application form.
- You will need:
- Applicant details (education & employment background)
- Cover letter stating your available start date (max 500 words)
- A CV
Supporting documents, any questions about the role, or support in the application process should be emailed to C-DICE at email@example.com.
Please note that if you are successful, your supervisor will be contacted for a letter/email of support.